- Total revenues in the first quarter were $38.5 billion. Adjusted revenues1 were $38.4 billion.
- Shareholders' net income for the first quarter was $1.2 billion, or $3.15 per share
- Adjusted income from operations2 for the first quarter was $1.8 billion, or $4.69 per share
- Adjusted income from operations2,3 is projected to be in the range of $18.00 to $18.60 per share in 20203
- Global health service company Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) continues to lead a rapid response to the challenges presented by COVID-19 and today reported strong first quarter 2020 results driven by focused execution across its businesses.
"The world is facing an unprecedented health crisis from COVID-19, and Cigna recognizes the many challenges that our customers, clients, health care partners, and communities are facing. We have always tackled the most complex health issues and are well prepared to continue meeting the needs of our customers and clients for greater affordability, predictability and simplicity, even in the most difficult times," said David M. Cordani, President and Chief Executive Officer.
"Cigna entered 2020 with a long track record of growth, fueled by innovation and customer service. We delivered first quarter results that build on that foundation, and we remain confident in the strength of our four well-positioned growth platforms."
Total revenues for first quarter 2020 were $38.5 billion. Adjusted revenues1 were $38.4 billion and reflect strong contributions from each of Cigna's ongoing businesses.
Shareholders' net income for first quarter 2020 was $1.2 billion, or $3.15 per share, compared with $1.4 billion, or $3.56 per share, for first quarter 2019.
Cigna's adjusted income from operations2 for first quarter 2020 was $1.8 billion, or $4.69 per share, compared with $1.5 billion, or $3.90 per share, for first quarter 2019. This represents per share growth of 20% and reflects strong earnings contributions led by the Health Services, Integrated Medical, and International Markets segments.
Reconciliations of total revenues to adjusted revenues1 and of shareholders' net income to adjusted income from operations2 are provided on the following page, and on Exhibit 1 of this earnings release.
View Full Press Release here